The UNEP/MAP Priority Actions Programme Regional Activity Centre (PAP/RAC) has launched its redesigned page of the GEF MedPartnership and ClimVar & ICZM projects on 6 May 2016.
Funded by the Global Environment facility (GEF), the European Union and participating countries, the two projects came to an end in December 2015 and resulted in numerous valuable outputs which prompted PAP/RAC to redesign its special projects website to better present its results in a reader-friendly way.
Under the MedPartnership, PAP/RAC worked mainly on Integrated Coastal Zone Management which resulted in the development of the National ICZM Strategy of Montenegro and its adoption by the national Government, the development of the first Coastal Plan focused on climate variability and change impacts adopted by the County Assembly. The project has also developed a methodological guide for converging coastal, river basin and aquifer management.
The contribution of PAP/RAC to the ClimVar and ICZM project was substantial. The focus of the work was on strengthening knowledge base on regional climate variability and change, and supporting the implementation of the ICZM Protocol, and capacity building.
The outputs of each project are detailed on the new website and categorised according to the type of activity. Ten activities are also presented with experience notes using the GEF IW template.
Presented in different and national languages, the outputs included among others:
- Four methodological guidelines (for converging coastal, river basin and aquifer management, developing national ICZM strategies, adaptation to climate variability and change, and assessing socio-economic impacts and adaptation options);
- Three technical documents related to the interpretation of the ICZM Protocol;
- Five different assessments of the costs of the climate variability and change impacts, including one dealing with the banks and insurance companies;
- Three national strategies (one in the national language only, but the experience note is available);
- Three coastal plans (one in the national language only, but the English version will be available soon, Summary version and the experience note available in English);
- Reports of the 3 major regional workshops with all the materials distributed and PPT slides presented.
Although the GEF projects are closed, the seeds they have sawn keep flourishing around the Mediterranean.
To visit the website